As a mother of four, meal time for us is one way to re-connect with each other. It is when we sit together and talk about anything and everything. That is why I want to make it special. Since we decided to be healthier with our food choices, and dining out can be impractical at times, cooking for my family is the answer to a more meaningful time with the family. I love seeing them enjoy food!
On a practical note, when trying out a new recipe, do it in the smallest quantity possible. Just so you don’t waste anything in case something isn’t quite right. I make someone (in my case, my Mom and husband) to try it first. However, now, I noticed my children observing me in the kitchen and giving honest opinions.
I’ll be sharing one of my signature recipes for this issue, Meat lovers’ Paella. I’ve been trying simple dishes since I was in grade 7, but I realize love is the winning ingredient every single time. My motto every time: Do it with LOVE! And surely you cannot go wrong.
- 250 grams Chicken Breast Fillet cut into strips or cubes
- 100 grams Bacon strips
- 3 links of Sonsi Tuguegarao Longganisa
- 2 links of Chorizo de Bilbao
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 4 cups Japanese/ Jasmine Rice
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- Olive oil
- 1 medium sized Onion diced
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1 small Yellow capsicum
- 1 green Bell pepper
- 1 small can Red pimiento
- Oregano powder
- Spanish Paprika powder
- Put a dash of oregano, salt, and pepper on the chicken. Set aside.
- Cook bacon, Tuguegarao Longganisa, Chorizo. Drain then set aside
- Fry chicken with oregano. Drain then set aside
- Sautée onion and garlic. Cook bell pepper, capsicum, and pimiento.
- Add cooked bacon, longganisa, chorizo, and chicken. Set aside some as garnish.
- Add washed rice and sautée a bit. Add spanish paprika, tomato paste (optional), and olive oil if needed.
- Add chicken broth and cover to cook. Best to use foil to ensure it is covered well and that heat circulates inside.
- Check after 15 minutes. Cook till done.
- Top with flat parsley, sliced boiled egg, lemon and left-over meat.
- Serve hot and squeeze some fresh lemon on top.