How well do you know the Seven Last Words of Jesus before He died on the cross? Take part and take to heart His messages through the Bible in this special activity for the whole family
The season of lent of allows all Catholics to look deep and reflect on the life, passion, death and resurrection of Jesus. It also gives us the opportunity as families to strengthen our relationship with God through the various devotions available for us during lent.
The Seven Last Words is a devotion of the Catholic Church that invites us to recall and meditate on Jesus’ last words as he hung on the cross.
1. During the Holy Week, the family can gather together for an activity and sharing on the Seven Last Words.
2. Provide pens, papers and bibles for each family member.
3. Read out each passage/ bible verse and ask them to search for the scripture and to write down the words of Jesus.
1st Word: Luke 23-34
‘Father, forgive them for they don’t know what they’re doing’
2nd Word: Luke 23:43
‘I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise’
3rd Word: John 19:26-27
‘Dear woman, here is your son. Son, here is your Mother’
4th Word: Mark 15:34
‘My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?’
5th Word: John 19:28
‘I am thirsty’
6th Word: John 19:30
‘It is finished’
7th Word: Luke 23:46
‘Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands’
4. When everyone is done, ask each family member to choose ONE from the 7 Last Words and share WHY and HOW this word touched him/ her.
5. Invite all to memorize the seven last words of Jesus and take them to heart. Anyone who can recall and enumerate all can be given a prize.